(Stay tuned for more Scenes from the inaugural 2012 Moontower Comedy and Oddity Festival)
At the moment Comedy Moontower is operating on a dodgy Wi-Fi signal and a rather temperamental WordPress in the Esquire Lounge at the Stephen F. Austin hotel and in the midst of mad dash guest list requests for the forthcoming joy magnet that is tonight’s Steven Wright performance. Wanda Sykes and Marc Maron are chatting at the bar. Patrons are imbibing and buzzing. The Festival has been amazing and a heaping chunk of this… fuck it, I’m using “euphoria” unabashedly is from the abject afterglow of John Mulaney’s set last night and from the anticipation for another at the Parish tonight. As I started that last sentence, festival producer Rich Miller is in a booth exalting Mulaney to casting director Ann Maney. JR Brow and Lucas Molandes delivered command sets and I am hard-pressed to recall the last time I laughed out loud as hard and for as long I did at John Mulaney’s set– which began with approximately 15 minutes of him absolutely slaying by recounting how he and his girlfriend spent the day visiting Friday Night Lights’ locations. Before I could finish that sentence (and I shit thee nay), a VIP just lamented the woe (and embarrassment of Moontower riches) of having to miss Mulaney tonight for the must-see Steven Wright.
Bil Dwyer (pictured at last night’s Andy Kindler Show). According to Kindler, Bil is also single-handedly spearheading the 1920’s swimmer revival look offstage. Bil also claims “gym apples” are a real variety, although Comedy Moontower has yet to see one in a produce aisle.
1. Baron Vaughn added to 8:00 Funny or Die show at the Stateside at the Paramount.
2. Erin Foley added to 10:30 Funny or Die show at the Stateside at the Paramount.
3. Lucas Molandes added as host to 7:45 John Mulaney at the Parish.
4. Mario DiGiorgio added to 8:00 Theme Park at Scottish Rite.
5. Brendon Walsh and Duncan Trussell added to 7:30 Game Master with Bil Dwyer at the Velveeta Room.
6. Brent Weinbach is pinch-hitting for Dana Gould at Jimmy Dore’s 7:30 Left, Right and Ridiculous show at the 29th Street Ballroom
7. Bryan Gutmann added as host to 10:30 Matt Bearden at the Mohwak, immediately following JB Smoove.
8. Maggie Maye is now on the 7:30 Game Master Show with Bil Dwyer at the Velveeta Room, and Mary Lynn Rajskub is solving a caper at the ole haunted amusement park.
9. The Taster’s Choice has been replaced by a fine organic silt from the banks of Lake Travis.
As a special treat and hilarious tribute to the city, “Roastmaster General” Jeffrey Ross is roasting Austin at the Paramount Theatre Friday April 27th at 7:30pm during the Moontower Comedy & Oddity Festival. And, as a humble “Thank You” in appreciation for such an amazing local turnout and response to this inaugural festival, Moontower is now releasing all remaining tickets and making this a free show for badge holders and the general public! It’s Austin’s chance to come and laugh at itself. The festival wants to give the gift of laughter to the city that’s helped make this year a success. So, come out, take a seat to enjoy some good-natured ribbing at our unique and amazing city, and the show’s on us. There plenty of seats, so don’t be shy and come on down! If you purchased single tickets— congratulations, you just got comped. However, be sure to keep your actual tickets, so you get your purchased seat! Again, thank you the grand embrace Austin! You’ve already got everyone excited for Moontower next year… and we still have two incredible nights to go!
So NICK OFFERMAN’s “American Ham” show promises an evening of: His Tips for Prosperity, Original Acoustic Songs, Humorous Anecdotes, Audience Participation (aka Q&A) . . . and so much more. Well, part of that “more” is the rad revelation that the sublime MEGAN MULLALLY (Will & Grace, Children’s Hospital, Party Down) will join her hubby, along with the great STEPHANIE HUNT (Friday Night Lights, Californication). LIVE! TONIGHT at the historic Paramount Theatre at 10:00pm.
To purchase single tickets or badges, go to www.moontowercomedyfestival.com. You can also get them at the Paramount Theatre box office or by calling 512-474-1221.